Thursday, March 19, 2015

Status Update: Script done

My Movie, Absolute...
Over the past few weeks I have attempted to find the cast for my film. I still plan on using my wife, Holly, for the lead role of Emily.

I found a guy that I thought would be a good fit for Adam but so far we are having difficulty communicating. I may need to find someone else that is easier to get in contact with that is more excited about the project. Im still up in the air with this.

I also require a child actress for the role of Brooklyn. I have talked to a good friend of mine and her daughter seems to be pretty excited about doing it. I am still hesitant because I know she is a shy little girl and I worry about it being extremely difficult to  get her to loosen up in front of a camera.

I now need to start filming some test shots for things. I want to get my "look" set before filming so I can better understand how to shoot.  I want to also test my actors again before scheduling filming.
This has been fun so far but I really feel like I have tried doing too much. I dont mean for this to sound like Im trying to blame others but I have been helping with a few other projects for people and have pushed mine to the side for some time now. I really need to focus now and start the engine and begin what I hope to be my best piece.

As far as the script, I believe we have it pretty close to where I want it. Some small revisions may be made still. Brooklyn may need to change to a young boy depending on actors.

















ABSOLUTE



DEBORAH J. MERRILL

ADAPTED FROM A SHORT STORY BY
HOLLY MERRILL












1.    INTERIOR. BEDROOM AT EMILY’S HOME. LATE AFTERNOON

    4:58—The house is silent. What appears to be a woman completely out of focus is in the     background. She appears to be gathering things from around the room. She goes to the         radio, cranks it, then turns it on. The static lingers as if it is never going to stop. At 5:07 a         voice comes through.

RADIO (V.O.)
            We apologize for being late with our regularly scheduled daily broadcast.                 We have breaking news!  The United States has been defeated in its                 efforts to maintain a strong hold in Washington DC. The first family and                 other government officials have fled the city, seeking safety elsewhere.                 This is the final defeat for our nation. All government services, including                 military efforts, have been suspended. We regret to inform you that this                 will be our last scheduled program also.

            We sign off with these final words of our President which were recorded                 earlier: It is with great sorrow     that I speak to you today. At the end of this                 day, we bid farewell to the  United States of America. We bid farewell to                 the people of this great nation.  We bid farewell to life as we knew it. May                 God bless you during these unknown times.

    Emily momentarily stops to listen to the radio, then continues to gather items.         Fades to black.

2.    INTERIOR. DINING ROOM AT EMILY’S HOME. EVENING.

    We see a woman wearing a short sexy dress and heels. Her makeup and hair are done         for a special evening event. She is finishing the final preparations of a meal. The table is         set with dishes that indicate it is a celebrate and romantic evening. She lights tall             candles on beautiful candleholders and pours some wine into goblets.
Fade to black


    The camera does a closeup of  the woman sitting by herself at the table. Only her side of     the table is shown. It appears that the woman may have eaten dinner by herself. She         sits with her elbows resting on the table, fingers clutched together with her chin resting         on them, obviously pondering something.  Partially eaten dessert and the remainder of         wine in the her goblet is all that is left of the meal. Soft music is playing in the             background. She looks up and smiles as Adam enters the room.

    Adam is dressed in a pair of slacks and a collared shirt with rolled up sleeves.

ADAM
            That was easy enough. A few strokes on her forehead and Daddy’s                 reassuring voice was all she needed. She went right back to sleep.

    Adam sits down at the table, picks up his fork and continues to eat his dessert. He looks         at Emily with a smile.

ADAM
            You looked like you were having a serious moment when I came in.                 What’s up?

EMILY
            I was just thinking about how lucky I am…that you have put up with me                 for six years.

ADAM
            Six years!  Is that all its been. It seems like sixty!

EMILY
            Well, thanks a lot!  That indicates that I have enjoyed this marriage a lot                 more than you have! Is it because I am more tolerant or just blind to all                 your faults?  Or…do you not have any?

ADAM
            Ah, Come on now, Em. You know I had to say that cuz I’m a guy. Men                 can’t be all soft and mushy!  Seriously, I can’t believe it has been six                 years. You are the best thing that has happened in my life…  The steak                 you cooked tonight is the second!

EMILY
            I am so glad that you have your priorities straight.  Me first. Steak second.

    There is silence for a moment, each looking at the other.

EMILY
            You know, the really great thing about tonight is that I am a woman and I                 am entitled to get all soft and mushy!  I know you don’t expect anything                 less.

ADAM
            Go ahead. Tell me how wonderful I am.

EMILY
            You are! You are the man that taught me what love is all about! Dad never             had time for me… I was blessed (uses her fingers to put blessed in                 quotation marks) with a mom who could care less about being a mother. I                 was taken care of, but I was never loved…                            (dramatically)
            Then…my knight in shining armor came along… sweeping me off my                 feet…and onto his beautiful white stallion, and rode off into the sunset                 with me.




ADAM
            I assume that is the story you will tell Brooklyn when she asks how we                 met. I don’t mind her thinking that I saved you from the wicked                     stepmother and stepsisters!


EMILY
            Oh, Adam. Where have you been. She has already heard that story so                 many times that she could probably tell it to you with all the details.

    Adam stands up, walks over to Emily, and extends his hand toward here.

ADAM
            Come, my fair princess. I would like to take you for a ride on my white                 stallion.
                                       

AMY
                 Whoa!  I’m  not sure how to take that!  Are you being cheesy or dirty?!

ADAM
            Geez, Em. Have I ever been cheesy in my whole life!

    Emily takes him by the hand and gets up from the table.

                                        FADE TO BLACK



3.    EXTERIOR. PARK. DAY.

    It is spring and the temperatures are cool. Early flowers are beginning to bloom. Emily         and Brooklyn are wearing sweaters and long pants.

    At the park about noon. Brooklyn is being pushed on the swing by her mother, Emily.         Adam walks across the grass towards them.  Emily stops pushing and walks to meet         Adam. They give a quick hug. Brooklyn continues to swing. Adam and Emily walk over to     a picnic table where Emily proceeds to take the items from her bag and put them on the         table for lunch.

EMILY
(laughing)
You wouldn’t believe what Brooklyn said today!

ADAM
                    (with interest and smiling)
            I can’t even imagine. What?

    Adam proceeds to sit down at the table and begins putting food on his plate. Emily stops     what she is doing to tell her story to Adam.

EMILY
    We went to the bank today. When we were leaving she said, "That lady likes you more         than me." I asked why she thought that. She said, "She gave you money and all she         gave me was this sucker.”

    They both laugh.
    EMILY (cont.)
                        (teasing)
            She must be your child! I hope the next one is as cute and funny as she                 is.  Cute. Funny. Uhhh…I guess that makes her my child!

           EMILY (cont.)
    (Her light-hearted mood changes to serious)
            The way things are going, I hope we can have another one. I don’t know if             any child deserves being born into this world the way it is heading.                 Screwed up government. Threats of war. Who knows if we will even wake             up in the morning.

ADAM
    (seriously)
            Hey, Let’s not even go there. I have a good job. We have money in the                 bank. The world might be crazy, but our kids don’t have to see that.

    Brooklyn runs over to the table. Adam and Emily smile at her and act like nothing is         wrong. Emily begins to put food on a plate. Brooklyn sits next to Adam and takes a chip         off his plate. He teasingly grabs her wrist

ADAM
    (His mood changes from serious to teasing)
    Hey! Nobody steals my food! Now you have to pay.

   
BROOKLYN
You don’t scare me! 

    Brooklyn gets down from the table and begins to run away from Adam. He catches her         and begins tickling her.

ADAM
            I think Mamma needs tickled, too! She has been a bad girl! She worries                 way too much!

    Knowing what is about to happen, Emily begins to move away from Adam. He             grabs her and begins to tickle her.


EMILY
    She screams between gasps of laughter.
            Stop!

ADAM
                        (playfully)
            Oh, I am sorry! Is something wrong?

EMILY
            AHH! You are a monster! Let me go!

ADAM
            Oh, I will let you go when you promise me you will lighten up!”

EMILY
            Stop! Please!  Okay. No more worries!!


    Adam lets Emily free. She resumes what she was doing, while Adam goes to play with         Brooklyn.

Fade to black.



4. EXTERIOR. DRIVEWAY IN FRONT OF EMILY’S HOUSE. DAY.   

       It is a warm summer day. Emily and Brooklyn are dressed in shorts and summer tops         They drive up in front of house.

EMILY
            Look, Brooklyn. Daddy must be home for lunch today!

BROOKLYN
(sad)
            Oh, no, Momma. We didn’t get him a smoothie.

EMILY
            That’s alright. I’ll share mine with him.

    Brooklyn’s face brightens and she races into the house.

ADAM
            Hey! There’s my two girls!

    Adam picks up Brooklyn, swirls her around, then kisses her on her forehead. Emily         immediately senses that something isn’t right.


ADAM
            Hey, Bug. How about you findin’ Buster and taking him outside.

    Adam looks at Emily lovingly, but with concern.

ADAM
            Have you heard the news today?

    Emily shakes her head no.

ADAM
Sit down and watch this.

    They both sit down together on the sofa.  Adam rewinds the live broadcast and hits play.         BREAKING NEWS flashes across the bottom of the screen. Emily has a difficult time         taking it all in, but gets enough information that she knows that the draft has been         reinstated to fight the war with North     Korea. She stands and walks to the window. Adam         follows. They realize they are looking at the same thing, Brooklyn running around         spraying the dog with a hose. They hear her laughter and it brings them back to reality.

ADAM
            We need to stop! We aren’t going to do this. We don’t need to worry. Our                 country has fought many wars before and we have risen from them all.                 We are going to be okay!



EMILY
            But, Honey. You heard what they said about doing a draft again. I mean…                can they really do that?  What are we going to do? What if you?…

ADAM
(interrupting Emily)
            Stop! They said in extreme measures they might do a draft. It’s not for                 sure. Even if they did, the chances of me being called would be slim. Men             with families are always the last to go.

    Adam calms, then moves behind Emily and wraps his arms around her, both             watching Brooklyn play.

Fade to black.


5.    INTERIOR. ADAM’S OFFICE. LATE MORNING

    Adam is at the office working at his desk. His phone rings. He looks to see who is         calling.

ADAM
            Hey, Em. What’s up?

EMILY
(She is crying)
            I need you to come home.

ADAM
            What’s happening, Em. Are you and Brooklyn okay?

EMILY
            Brooklyn is fine. She is at Macee’s playing. I need you to come home                 though.

ADAM
            Tell me what’s wrong. What’s happened, Babe?

EMILY
            I just talked to Courtney. She said that Brandon just received his draft                 notice. I wasn’t worried too much when it was just the single guys, then                 married with no kids. But, Adam, Courtney and Brandon have two little                 kids.  How is she going to do it?! How can she be both a mom and a dad to             to them.
                         (Emily pauses, trying to not say what has to be said. )       
            Adam, I just know its going to be us next!

ADAM
                     Come on, Em. We don’t know that. It could all be over with before I                 receive a notice.

EMILY
            Please, Adam. I need you to come home.

ADAM
            Em, I’ve got to get this job done. I really don’t have time.

EMILY
            Please, Adam. Please!
Fade to black

6.    INTERIOR. KITCHEN AT EMILY’S HOUSE. DAY



    Emily, Adam, and Brooklyn enter the house carrying a few bags of     groceries. Emily         heads to the kitchen. Adam sets down his bag, looks through the mail he carried in and         takes a moment to look at a particular letter. He puts it on bottom and throws the mail on         the table. As she and Adam sort groceries into three boxes, each labeled and partially         filled: Emily- 3 months, Adam- 3 months, Brooklyn- 3 months.

EMILY
            This is crazy! What is going on in this world?!!

ADAM
            I have a feeling it is going to get worse before it gets better.

EMILY
            How can it? It doesn’t matter how much money is in the bank if there is                 nothing to buy!  I am afraid that the time is quickly coming when we aren’t             going to be able to get the food we need!  I love that you got us working                 on this food supply.  It may be what saves us.  We were able to buy extra                 food this time, but a lot of it is stuff we don’t even like.

ADAM
            At least we have enough to keep us from being hungry.

EMILY
            And how do we convince our picky little child to eat it?  She knows                 something is up. We had to tell her that she can’t start school for another                 year! You saw how disappointed she was. She had to notice that the                 shelves at the store weren’t fully stocked. Now we are going to feed her                 food that she doesn’t even like!



ADAM
            We really don’t have any choice. We will have to make do with what we                 have. Sure she is smart, but if we handle this like it is normal, that is what                 she will believe. We can do it. We have to do it!

EMILY
                        (pouty)
            Why do things have to be so hard?

ADAM
                         (gently)
            So you can learn to be tough!

        They finish packing their boxes, sliding them into a cupboard. Adam picks up the             radio they just bought and begins taking it out of the package.

ADAM
            Here, Em. Let me show you how this works.

        Adam proceeds to show her how it works as he talks.

   


ADAM (cont,)
            When you crank it, it produces enough electricity that we can listen to it                 for a few minutes. That way if we are ever without power we can find out                 what is going on. It’ll be a handy little gadget to have around.

        After Adam finishes, Emily walks over and picks up the mail. She notices the             letter. There is no expression on her face. She sets the letter back down and             leaves the room.

        Adam picks up the letter and sits down on sofa and proceeds to open it.

Fade to black.

7.        INTERIOR. LIVING ROOM AT EMILY’S HOUSE. DAY




        Emily rereads the letter she received from Adam. Emily helps Brooklyn write a             letter to Adam and she draws a picture to mail with it. Emily puts it in an envelope         and they walk to the mailbox to mail it. There is a letter in the mailbox. Brooklyn             quickly takes it out and puts hers in.

         BROOKLYN
            Look, Momma. Its is a letter from Daddy. Will you read it to me?

EMILY
            Sure. Let’s go inside and snuggle while we read it.

        Emily takes the letter and realizes that it is the letter they put in the mailbox             yesterday. They walk toward the house.

Fade to black.




8.        EXTERIOR. EMILY’S CAR. DAY

        Emily and Brooklyn are in the car. Emily turns the key and notices that the gas             light is on. She hits the steering wheel with her hand and puts her head down on             it. As she raises her head, she wipes the tears away.

EMILY   
(Trying to sound carefree.)
            Sorry, Bugs. We aren’t going anyplace today. There isn’t much gas in the                 car so we had better save it for something really important.


BROOKLYN
            Can’t we just get some more gas?

EMILY
            We can’t. All of the gas stations are closed. We will have to go to the park                 another day. We had better save what is left in case we need it. How                 about if we go for a walk though. We can take your     collection bucket and                 find some pretty rocks.

        They get out of the car and head back to the house. Brooklyn runs ahead to get             her bucket.


9.        INTERIOR. BEDROOM AT EMILY’S HOUSE. DAY.
           
        Emily is obviously having a difficult time without Adam. She is quiet and sullen.             The phone rings, she checks to see who it is, then reluctantly answers it. She             lays down on the bed to talk.

        We here only Emily’s  side of the conversation…pauses between.

EMILY
            Hi, Mom.

            No, I haven’t heard anything.

        (Emily listens.)

            I have tried that. They won’t tell me anything.

        (Emily listens.)

        (getting agitated)
            I have written to them! They won't even respond. And now I can’t even do                 that. They haven’t picked up our mail for over two weeks.  When I call, all                 I get is some stupid electronic voice. The internet is down. I can’t think of                 anything else I can do!

        (Emily listens.)

        (quietly)
            Now I know how people feel when they have no idea where somebody                 they love is.   He could be in a prison camp. They could be torturing him!                 He could be in a hospital not even being cared for. Mom, I don’t even                 know if he is alive.

        (Emily listens.)

I am. It is hard, but I am trying to be strong for her.

        (Emily listens.)

            No. We can’t go to the park anymore. It isn’t safe. I don’t answer the door                 unless I know who is on the other side. I have taught Brookie the same.                 Everything has changed so much. I know we aren’t safe like we used to                 be. My husband needs to be home to take care of me and our daughter.

        (Emily listens.)
        (Resolutely)
            But, our motto, “Even though it isn’t normal, make believe it is.”

        (Emily listens.)

            Ya. I will let you know if I hear anything. 
        (Emily listens.)

            Love you, too.

        Emily continues to lay down on the bed. Several moments later Brooklyn enters             and climbs up on the bed next to her.

BROOKLYN
            Don’t be sad, Momma. Daddy will be home soon.

        (Brooklyn starts to tickle Emily.)

            No worries, Momma. We have to laugh.

        Emily pulls her close, tears flowing even though she is slightly smiling.

EMILY
            Are you hungry? Let’s go get you something to eat. 

10.        INTERIOR. KITCHEN IN EMILY’S HOUSE. DAY       

        Emily and Brooklyn go to the kitchen and pull out their food storage boxes and             take food from them.     Then  they sit down at the table. Emily puts her arms             around Brooklyn.

EMILY
            I love you, Bugs.

BROOKLYN
            Love you, too, Momma.

        Emily looks at the clock. It is almost five o’clock. She turns on the crank radio.

Fade to black.

11.        INTERIOR. LIVING ROOM AT EMILY’S HOUSE. DAY




        It is very apparent that Emily is depressed. She is unkempt and the house has             not been taken care of. She tries to turn on the TV. Nothing happens. She tries             the lights. They don’t turn on. She realizes that they are without electricity. She             pulls out the old emergency radio and begins to crank it.

EMILY
            Oh, how I love you and hate you, my dear friend. When everyone fails                 me, you still come through! But, oh, how I hate the news you bring!

        Brooklyn enters the room.

BROOKLYN
            The toilet is broke! It won’t flush!

        Emily ignores her and continues trying to get better reception on the radio so she         can listen to the 5:00 broadcast.  She is frustrated as she tries to understand             what is being said.
                       
        RADIO     (V.O.)   

            We remind you that we will continue our broadcasts in the evening at                 5:00. Please join us then for the updates on each days activities. There                 are predictions that it is only a matter of days before the fall of the United                 States. We join Matt Summers, our correspondent in…..
   
        Emily quickly turns the radio off and sits there. 

BROOKLYN
Momma!

EMILY
(She shouts at Brooklyn.)
            What Brooklyn! What do you want?

EMILY
(calming)
            Sorry, Bug. I don’t know how to fix it either. Just don’t use too much toilet                 paper and it will be alright.

BROOKLYN
            Daddy can fix it! When will he comes home? He can fix the lights and the                 TV, too.

        Emily pulls her close, hesitating before she begins speaking.

EMILY
            Brooklyn, I need to tell you something. I need you to trust me. Okay?

        Brooklyn nods.

EMILY
            Daddy, had to go fight some bad people, like the bad guys in your stories.

BROOKLYN
            Oh, Like Vector in spicable me”

EMILY
            You love that movie, even though it is older than you! You are right,  just                 like that except this time the bad guys are winning. The good guys have                 tried really hard, but there are just too many bad guys.  Even though                 Daddy wants to come back to us, he isn’t coming home.  He loves you a                 whole bunch though, Bugs. We are his special girls!

        Emily wraps her arms around Brooklyn and holds her close to her.


Fade to black.




12.        INTERIOR. LIVING ROOM AT EMILY’S HOUSE. DAY   

        Late fall—Emily is very depressed. She is irritable and impatient with                 Brooklyn. The house is a mess. It is obvious that she is not functioning at this             point. She is lying on the bed when Brooklyn walks in, playing her recorder.

EMILY
(yelling at her)
        Stop that noise right now! Can’t you just give me some peace and quiet! Now go             to your room and leave me alone.

BROOKLYN
                         (sad or crying)
            I just wanted to show you my picture I drew for Daddy.

        Brooklyn runs out of the room. Emily lays there for several moments, then forces             herself to get up. She goes in Brooklyn’s room where she is sitting at her table,             paper and crayons still out.

EMILY
            I am sorry, Brooklyn.  I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. Please, show                 me your picture.

BROOKLYN
            This is me and this is you.  That is Daddy.  He is in heaven. This is our                 house and we are here just waiting to be with Daddy. See, Mommy. We                 have smiles on our faces cuz  we don’t have to worry. Everything is going                 to be alright.

        Brooklyn looks up at Emily with a big smile. Emily gives a light laugh, like she is             relieved.

EMILY
            You make me so proud to be your mother! I don’t know what I would do                 without you! Come on. Let’s get us a bite to eat, then off to bed you go.  I                 have lots of things I need to do.

        Emily takes Brooklyn to the kitchen to get something to eat. They pull out the box         marked Daddy-3 months.

Fade to black.


13. INTERIOR. LIVING ROOM AT EMILY’S HOUSE. DAY

    5:00pm on a late fall day—The house is clean and orderly, but silent. The drapes are         open, letting the sunshine in. Emily is dressed; her makeup is on; and her hair is clean         and curled. She is gathering things from around the room and placing them in two         backpacks. . She goes to the radio and turns it on. The static lingers as if it is             never going to stop. Then a voice comes through. Emily momentarily stops to listen to         the radio, then continues to gather items.

RADIO (V.O.)
            We apologize for being late with our regularly scheduled daily broadcast.                 We have breaking news!  The United States has been defeated in its                 efforts to maintain a strong hold in Washington DC. The first family and                 other government officials have fled the city, seeking safety elsewhere.                 This is the final defeat for our nation. All government services, including                 military efforts, have been suspended.

            We sign off with these final words of our President which were recorded                 earlier: It is with great sorrow     that I speak to you today. At the end of this                 day, we bid farewell to the  United States of America. We bid farewell to                 the people of this great nation.  We bid farewell to life as we knew it. May                 God bless you during these unknown times.

    The static begins again but Emily seems to pay no attention to it. She goes into             Brooklyn’s room and gets Brooklyn’s tattered blue elephant,  a couple of children’s
    books, and her polka dot blanket that she loves to sleep with. She lays out Brooklyn’s         clothes, then gently wakes Brooklyn.

EMILY
         Hey, Bugs.  Nap time is over. Can you wake up and get dressed! We are going to         do something special!

    Brooklyn hurries and dresses and brings her brush and hair ribbon to Emily in the living         room.

BROOKLYN
            You look pretty, Momma.

EMILY
            As do you, Bugs. 

BROOKLYN
Where are we going?

EMILY
            It is a surprise! You go get your shoes and socks on and I will fix a picnic                 to take with us.

    Brooklyn goes to her bedroom. Emily goes to the food storage and takes out their         favorite foods from Adam’s box. She takes a plastic gallon bottle from the closet and         pours water from it into two used plastic water bottles. Brooklyn returns, ready to go.         Emily hears the static from the radio.

    Emily helps Brooklyn put on her jacket. She then puts on hers, then picks up the items         she has packed. She casually turns the radio off as they walk out the door.

14.    EXTERIOR. PARK. LATE AFTERNOON
    Emily and Brooklyn drive to the same park where they were playing at the beginning of         the story. They play on the playground. They put their feet in the water. They collect         leaves. They sit side by side as Emily tells her the story of how she and Adam fell in         love.

    Just moments later Emily’s eyes are drawn upward to see a jet dropping a bomb,         followed by a bright flash lighting up the sky in bright pinks and oranges. She has a slight     smile on her face. She squeezes Brooklyn.

EMILY

            I love you, Bugs.

    Brooklyn looks up at her face. She has a happy content smile.

EMILY (CONT.)
            Are you ready for that picnic?
Fade to white.















No comments:

Post a Comment